Tuesday 5 June 2012

Alhamdulillah...

The letter is out finally. All ten candidates who went through a thorough evaluation process by the Federal Inspectorates and a grueling interview session in December 2011 made the cut! A phone call from the unit confirmed that I was successful in my Gred Khas C (JUSA) application. A feeling of great relief and gratitude overwhelmed me. I did it!! I'm one lucky teacher. Alhamdulillah... There are so many people to thank:

  • my late father, Hj Sayuti Hj Akhsan (who wanted me to become a teacher) and mum (God bless her soul)
  • husband Hj Abdul Aziz (for tolerating my moods and whims)
  • children Adibah and Rasyad ( for always criticising my work and not crediting any :)) 
  • supportive friends and confidantes (too many to list out...but I must mention Sallina Hussain (principal SETA, JB), Fuziana, Jenny Tan, Suziana, Kay Ahmad, Normala, Haliza, Shima, Adibah Alias, Huda, Murniyati, Ina, Chew Lee Kian, Ashidah Asnan, KK Tang (CEO ICT Learning), Radika, Jenny Ho, Rohaida Ngah, Jugdeep, Hayati Ahmad, Haniza, Meng Huat, Shamsath, Hafizah Aini, Hamid (Principal), Saodah Ajil)
  • blogger friends and visitors
  • my former teachers who impacted me: Mr Govan (may you rest in peace)- that spat in Form 5E , when you threw a piece of chalk to my rowdy friends at the back during the Agricultural Science lesson and your remark to them, "Melayu! Tak sedar diri!" made me realise I must have a good education to succeed. My race was not going to be my saviour. Education would. It was back in 1979 but it's hard not to remember. It jolted my senses and made me struggle to pass the MCE with a first grade and won a scholarship to do A Level in England. Pn Fatimah (Geog. teacher who saw early on that I was an "all-rounder"), Mrs Pratheepa Dhas (my hockey teacher who taught me leadership), Mr Henry (Southend College, Essex, UK, for introducing me to literature and the plays), Dr Susan Hunston (Univ. of Birmingham, UK, who taught me clarity of instruction/explanation is important in teaching)
  • principals I've worked under: Madam Tan Tong Yar and Madam Yeoh Ai Lian (SMK Canossian Convent...thanks muaaahh!!), from SM Sains Johor, Kluang-Tn Hj Abu Naim Siran (who used my Record Book as a benchmark for new teachers in SM Sains Johor, Kluang),  Tn Hj Mohd Ropi Jahis, Tn Hj Rohani Mangi, En Jalani Rusni (the best principal I've worked with), Tn Hj Kamarudin Abu (who had every confidence in me), Tn Hj Abdullah Idrus, Tn Hj Umar Kamari (who was a father to us teachers) and Tn Hj Nojummudin Abdul Samad. They gave me wings to fly...
  • my students past and present (they keep me going) 
  • Mr Senevahsan Naidu (first English GC in Johor who encouraged me to apply for GC and with whom I learned to train in the Malaysian Trainer Development Programme, BPG)
  • teachers whom I've rubbed shoulders with
  • En Mohd Yusof (former inspectorate who evaluated me the first time)
  • Federal Inspectorates, Putrajaya
  • MOE officers I've enjoyed working with- Ms Mokolus Rowther (formerly CDC), Mr Rohimmi (formerly CDC), Ms Ruhani (formerly BPG), Ms Azian and Ms Bayani (Textbook Division), Mr Ali Abdul Ghani (formerly CDC, for my first taste of writing), Ms Shafinaz, Ms Alawiyah Hussain, Ms Afiza Akhsan (LPM) and many more
  • JPN English officers- Mr Rozlan Mohamed, Mr Shanmuganathan A/L Suppiah, Mr Kamarulzaman Mubin (for the many opportunities given)
  • PPD English officers: Mr Mahyudin Salim (PPD Kluang), Hood (Pontian), Wee (Mersing), Rozi (Batu Pahat)
  • former PPD officer Tn Hj Shaharudin Sharif (for his words of encouragement)
  • Mr Md Hasidin Hj Zaini, Assistant Director, JPN Johor (for casually joking with me in a state PPMP meeting in Pontian some time back, that one day I will be a Gred Khas C)
  • Majlis Guru Cemerlang Johor and Majlis Guru Cemerlang Kluang
  • all those who have helped me in my journey as a teacher

I can tell you that most of the time it was a solitary journey full of challenges and surprises. Only perseverance, commitment and God's will will get you there. With this comes higher expectations and more responsibilities but hey! Let me savour the moment first. This much I deserve...Alhamdulillah.


And if you were to count Allah's favours, you would not be able to quantify them; most surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. [SÅ«rah al-Nahl: 18]



The Thinking Teacher






10 comments:

Nor Fadzleen said...

Congrats kak Rahmah, you truly deserve it!

Rahmah said...

tx fadzleen. I did it!

Sophyta said...

Congrats Pn. Rahmah! You're awesome...

Rahmah said...

tx sophyta

Missy Macy said...

Congrats Madam. I just came across your blog, and I think I learnt a lot from it. I'm a 'young' teacher, :D, here to learn from experienced teacher like you. Thanks for your sharing. Like what you've said, Let those who can, do, let those who can do more, teach.

Rahmah said...

thanks missy macy. yours is not too bad either :)

Anonymous said...

I am pleased to be informed personally of your latest accomplishment , So one more feather to your already well-decorated cap , congratulations ! Proud to be included in the long list of people you recognised and thanked.( so I say thank You )You mentioned solitary journey with challenges - well , you have come through, with flying colours .Well done ! Your perseverence has finally paid dividend , handsomely too!
I wish you well and may you enjoy continued success . This is exciting time ,I am sure you will meet the challenges that comes with the promotion.

Congratulations once again !
Pn Tan .

Rahmah said...

thank you madam! i appreciate the opportunity of working with you in convent. your no nonsense approach helped me see how things can be managed more efficiently. i must say smcc has made me a better teacher and it is the combination of both worlds (day school and residential) that i will use for the betterment of my students here in sasem. there are many things teachers and administrators from sbp can learn from smcc. i certainly feel blessed having been given the chance to teach there and how can i forget convent- i was promoted twice there! and i owe it to u, the teachers and students there. i couldn't have done it alone. thanks so much and may god grant u good health always!

Pn TY Tan said...

WOW ! that was like instant reply - didnt expect others to stay up late like I do .Been sleeping at past 2 almost every nite but dont ask the time I get up it the morning , sinfully late !

Very happy to know that SMCC has such profound impact on you and I am sure everyone at Convent will be delighted & touched to read of how you felt about your short stint ( comparatively ) in the humble school. Thanks for the compliments !

Pn Tan

Rahmah said...

haha i happened to be working on my slides madam :)ur welcome