Tuesday 2 April 2013

The Power of Drama

I've never underestimated the power of drama. I know that drama can do wonderful things to language learning and character development but I've always shied away from it. Fear factor? No. Untrained? Perhaps. Shy? More likely. The only time I was dabbling with drama was in a course with the Curriculum Development Centre some years back. I was lucky to have a little bit of exposure with Joe Hasham and Farida Merican themselves. One thing I realised was you have to let go in drama, something I find hard to do. This time around I was merely helping the students in their preparations while waiting for Fariha to be back. 
Gulp and Gasp...

This was my second session with them and tonight I felt a bond with the students and this must be how their drama teacher felt last year. And I felt really proud of them and what they are capable of doing. Yes, they've only trained the last two weeks. Not even two weeks due to the school break but their enthusiasm showed me how to enjoy myself and be young again. Haha! It's rejuvenating drama and it's fun to see them let their creative juices flow. The decision to tape them and then view their rehearsal tonight was accurate. They could see how they presented themselves and their gestures. All this because SASEM is taking part in the SBP Southern Zone Drama Competition this Friday in SBPI Selandar, Melaka. 

We still have a lot to improve but I see the benefits of drama in my very own eyes- how it bonds teacher and students, language practice, developing confidence, teamwork...the list goes on. I know the theories but to be involved first hand is a different matter altogether. Credit must go to Azhar for a great script. To all the cast and crew, keep up the good work. We still have a few days left before Selandar and I know you will give your best. Here's to drama!


Lela and Kirana

Roshni

the end of Si Putum

Si Putum, Sultan Mansur Syah and Tun Pepatih Putih

Lela and Jebat

Li Po and Jebat

the whole cast

curtain call- proud of all of you!



The Thinking Teacher




No comments: