Tuesday 31 December 2013

Do we need new year resolutions?






It's that restless feeling you have when the new year ushers in right? I have the same feeling too despite that fact that Maal Hijrah was when I formed my resolutions. Do we need resolutions really? That's a resounding YESSS for someone like me although I forget the resolutions somewhere in the middle of the year :) I think I will print them and paste them somewhere visible so I'm reminded of them everyday :) Lets' see, this new year I'd like to....

  •  TAKE CARE OF MYSELF
If I can't commit to caring for myself, what good am I to my loved ones or my career? I will go back to the gym people, yes back to the gym! I will also make small changes to my lifestyle like taking the stairs when about (my son will laugh at me for saying this), and park my car slightly further away from the intended stop. Eating well? Makes sense this. Meng Huat watsapped (is there such a term) me just now with this message "Eat less and exercise more!" How apt! Yes, I need to replace comfort foods with healthy snacks and meals. I do get hungry often though...

Alleviating stress is an important agenda and my timetable and responsibilities next year are just perfect (I hope I'm not speaking too soon). It is as if Allah knows that I need to pay more attention to my health. Since I have cervical spondylosis aka neck athritis, health is my first priority. If this means rejecting extra projects, then I will do so. The fortnightly physio must continue and medications must be taken in the right doses.

  • STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES
We are pulled in many directions and rarely stop to recharge. This is so true isn't it? Planning ahead will be wise to redress the balance. I plan to spend more time with family and to take long walks (more like long drives- I do a lot of thinking in the car mind you) and perhaps carve out one day a week just for me-time!

  •   TRAVEL
My next travel destination is Turkey in sya Allah. Hoping to save enough to travel annually :) My previous trip to Spain and Morocco was simply unforgettable! It doesn't have to be faraway places as long as I can visit castles, historical buildings, parks...

  • TO BE A SOCIAL WORKER
May I realise that dream to do social work in 2014! For a start I have signed up with Islamic Relief Malaysia


But my most important wish of all is to be a better Muslim. Ya Rabb grant me patience and understanding in dealing with my daily life. Grant me a big heart to forgive and forget. Grant me the discipline to uphold my night prayers as I once did. You have shown me that You listened to my night virgil prayers when I was successful in my Special Grade C application. But I'm beginning to be indisciplined now...Grant me the strength to wake up at 3.00 a.m. once again to kneel before you and ask for Your mercy and love.



 Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him, his family, and companions) said, “The best prayer after the obligatory prayers is the night prayer.” [Muslim] 





The Thinking Teacher