Date: 2 April 2011
Time: 8a.m.- 3p.m.
Venue: Kolej Komuniti Kluang
Invited Speaker: Mr Phuah Seng Tiong (Ex-Principal, SMK Jinjang, KL)
An inspiring and timely talk which I needed to relook my role as a teacher. Some interesting points noted down:
- Don't be a dinasour- don't be obselete, keep up with the times in your teaching
- We need motivation regularly- "We need to fill up because we leak!"
- We have a lot to of work to do to clear up the image of teachers and teaching
- Teachers must have self-esteem and respect their profession
- Teaching is about preparing students for tomorrow not now (long-term)
- Teach students good values- appreciating their teachers and vice-versa
- Enter class prepared-Where are you taking your lessons?
- We need to fail forward not backwards
- The investment in school is not buildings but students
- Children are like wet cement- What impression are you going to leave?
- When you enter class IMPACT the students, then INSPIRE, INFLUENCE and IMPLANT
Thanks to Mr Phuah for sharing your wisdom! Thanks to Barny's for sponsoring the tea break and lunch.