Date: 6 December 2012
Venue: Dewan Semarak, JPN Johor
The Thinking Teacher
Venue: Dewan Semarak, JPN Johor
This prestigious award ceremony took place in Dewan Semarak JPN Johor. Despite losing my way a little bit, I made it in time for the ceremony. Insane this! All because I followed my GPS to go via the Kempas exit instead of the usual Skudai exit I normally take. My GPS was just updated and it gave me the wrong directions, would you believe that! Well, this sort of thing probably only happens to people like me. To be honest when I was suddenly driving in the Pasir Gudang highway (yup, that lost!) I nearly gave up and wanted to ask Sallina Hussain (principal and good friend of SMK Seta, JB) to receive the award for me in case I didn't make in on time but her phone was silent for a bit. I had to trouble another friend (Pn Ruzana from PPD JB) and finally found my way back to Jalan Datin Halimah...phew!! tells you a lot about my driving skills doesn't it?) Well, as I said before, I arrived at about 8.45 and people were still having breakfast. Relieved...
Tn Hj Mohd Nor A. Ghani (State Education Director) graced the occasion and presented the awards. There were many important people in the beautiful hall and I was ushered by this kind lady to a seat next to Pn Fuziah, headmaster of SK Taman Uda (2). She was also an awardee. I then realised that it was a Thursday because everyone was adorned in batik! Well, this being the school hols I conveniently forgot :) Thank God Adibah, my daughter ironed a batik dress (well I think it passed as batik) and I got rid off my coat as soon as possible! Only one person was wearing a jacket and he was the Ketua Sektor Pendidikan Islam in JPN. I certainly felt more comfortable not wearing one.
The objectives of the ceremony were:
(from the programme book)
- memberi pengiktirafan kepada hasil inovasi yang diperkenalkan oleh agensi kerajaan
- memupuk dan menyemarakkan budaya kreatif dan inovatif dalam cara bekerja uyang diamalkan
- memperkenalkan dan menyebarkan hasil-hasil inovasi yang boleh dicontohi untuk faedah agensi lain;dan
- menyumbang kepada peningkatan kualiti penyampaian perkhidmatan kepada pelanggan
The award categories were:
- Anugerah Khas Inovasi
- Anugerah Khas Juri
- Anugerah Inovasi Pengarah Pelajaran Johor
- Anugerah Inovasi Timbalan Pengarah Pelajaran Johor
- Anugerah Ketua Sektor
- Anugerah Kumpulan Inovasi dan Kreatif (KIK)
In his address, the director mentioned a few important pointers:
- the need to change our work culture- the emphasis should be on outcome and they must be impactful
- civil servants need to enhance their professional competence, provide client-friendly service, change their mindset and focus on feedback and complaints from clients because these are indicators of our effectiveness, be innovative and creative in the delivery system and give the best service with integrity and accountability
Alhamdulillah, I was awarded Anugerah Khas Inovasi (Kepimpinan Inovasi, Kumpulan Pengurusan dan Profesional). Initially I was rather reluctant to take part when the PPD Kluang nominated my name. However, some good friends and ex-students encouraged me to give it a try. A special thanks to Tn Hj Ahmad Yusof of PPD Kluang for norminating me and the selection panel of course. The emcee mistakenly announced that I was "Pengetua SM Sains Sembrong" and then corrected himself :) A nice way to wrap up 2012!