Sunday 29 March 2009

Excellent Teachers National Convention 2009 Paper Presenters Meeting, 1926 Heritage Hotel, Penang, 26-28th March 09









The 1926 Heritage hotel may be small and isolated in Georgetown, but the ambience it projected was a welcome. Written as 'Hotel 1926' in the calling letter, I wondered where this hotel was. But one need not worry about travelling in Malaysia as it is always made easy by our skilled taxi drivers. One such person was Mustaffa, who drove me right to the doorstep where a foreign (probably Pakistani)hotel staff carried my luggage inside. The old wooden double-storey hotel reminded me of a railway station! A Quaint hotel by a very busy road indeed. Inside, a cosy ambience greeted me and a small garden with wild orchids led to my room on the second floor. My roomate was Jariah from Kedah, a new GC. The first night session was merely a briefing by Mr OOi, the Penang MGC Chairman and opening speech by Tn Hj Rozli, MGCM Chairman. On the next day, we had more than six lectures (Drs) from USM to help us the editing of our papers. Sixteen papers were shortlisted for the coming convention including mine. I was slightly disappointed as they did nto provide any input on reseach methodology but Dr Tan (my supervisor) was very helpful. The venue for the national convention has not been finalised. It could be Seremban, Terengganu or Sarawak.