Wednesday 24 June 2009

4RC- Singing sensations!

Today we had what was supposed to be a serious lesson on tenses. I decided to forfeit those students who got the answers wrong by singing an English song. Well, Poonjoley got away with ABC (you know the kindergarten song), Pae Chen and Syafiqah setteld for Twinkle-twinkle little star. Then we had Sahira singing 'Bleeding Love' by Miley Cyrus just before the class ended. These girls really surprised me when they joined in the chorus!! Their voices were suddenly loud and they reverberated with the gust of wind blowing through the windows. For a moment, I wondered wether this was really my class! Anyway, I am planning a song activity this Friday- to add some variety in my teaching. So this was a sort of preamble if you like! Remember, variety is the spice of life.

I often reflect what I have been doing in the classroom - whether I have been able to reach my students. Or am I just going through the motions of teaching like a routine. It reminds of this quotation I read somewhere -Many can teach but only a few can reach. This is really the true challenge in teaching. Our students are our best judge. They know when we are prepared or otherwise. They know it when we are not trying our best.

5 comments:

Cahaya Kekasih said...

convent girls..they just love to sing..hehe....u were in sains johor before right? one of my best girls in smcc took her spm there...in 2004...her name is syamimi....

Rahmah said...

yes i agree. i think i know syamimi.

Cahaya Kekasih said...

syamimi is one of my best girls!! we were classmates form 1-3....still keep in touch....she's going to be an english teacher too!!

Rahmah said...

really? where is she studying?

Cahaya Kekasih said...

she's in kl now...i forgot the name of the place...in cheras....