Thursday 23 August 2012

On being a Special Grade C English teacher...

So I made it..my apologies if I don't sound so enthusiastic about it after six months of probation. I really wanted it and will not forget the numerous Dhuha and morning prayers asking for God's consent. In those prayers, I had always asked God to decide what's best for me because only He knows. I asked Him to grant my doa only if this post was good for me and to protect me from it if it was bad. I'm eternally grateful for the award. It is the highest achievement for a teacher- the max. But perhaps I've been just a little tired lately.

The truth is my right back is giving that old problem again and I am undergoing physiotherapy to ease the pain. It's normal to feel lethargic when you've been at it for a long time although a good friend cautioned me not to cite this as a reason to others. All I need is a bit of time to recover. Everybody feels tired now and then. Hence, I've been rejecting (politely) some offers to give talks, present papers and the likes for the simple reason that I haven't been too well. I just want to be in school till the end of the year and devote myself to my teaching- what I do best. I hope my rejections have not been misunderstood.
 
The road to GCK has been a long one. The journey had it's fair share of twists and turns like a river that meanders to no end. To think that I had been 'canned' for at least four years it was unthinkable I would pull this through. It's all God's will. And the journey presented some casualties too- I lost some friends. (Someone warned me back in 2001 when I voiced my interest in applying for GC that I would lose my friends). It didn't dawn upon me then but true enough, I lost some friends. These were friends who thought I had changed. Yes my DG changed but I'm still the same person whatever title you bestow upon me. I have my roots fixed to the ground and much of it has to do with my upbringing. Upon reflection, I'm not sure if these friends were real friends in the first place! There are friends who stick with you through thick and thin and there are those who judge you all the time. They are like the police of world, sentencing you to death even before you are put on trial.



Documentation for GKC evaluation

Hardwork and peserverance

Application form and supporting documents



Six months down the road I'm enthusiastic about this new-found role. I have a lot of ideas and plans but I need a team that's equally enthusiastic. You can never do it alone. 
 
A week before Hari Raya, I had an audience with you know who. Our conversation was fleeting...from Hari Raya preparations to school matters to family matters... so I don't have to pay any attention to the encounter except for the last part when I was informed that an officer in the PPD commented that I was not holding any post in Majlis Guru Cemerlang Kluang. Do I need to hold such a post? It's not enough being the advisor? Complicated this :) For the record, I do things that matter (curriculum and co-curricular) and I'm certainly not one to hold posts to rub shoulders with important officers or have a vested interest. To think that I'd passed the evaluation!

Well, cest la vie...
Salam Aidil Fitri



The Thinking Teacher


No comments: