Saturday 27 February 2016

PLC and Lesson Study

Radhika took the students for a tour
for the set induction..a novel idea!
Alhamdulillah, we had two observations and lesson studies last thursday. The first was conducted by Radhika in 1 Majah and the second was Nash's class in 3 Sina. Both of them did a wonderful job and everyone in the panel gave their support. My utmost thanks to Nash for agreeing at the last minute to have observation and lesson study at the same time. He must have been under a lot of pressure but in all honesty, he was God-sent!

This young teacher has a lot of potential and is serious about his work. I've been waiting for a long, long time for such a teacher. It was just heart-warming. English is not dead after all!!! Granted, many prepare extra hard for an observation class but that's absolutely fine. Do what you have to do to get a good mark and Nash did just that. He executed the lesson so well especially his set induction and a creative way of making students come forward to participate. The only part that could have been improved was by not having too many activities after the paragraphs were written and displayed. The error-correction part could be another single period I felt, but all in all it was a well-thought out lesson. During our post-visit discussion, everyone had something positive to say about both lessons. Focusing on the plus points was a good way to start.





The picture on 'gotong-royong'
 that Nash used in his lesson :)


As a senior teacher, the lesson reminded me of myself preparing for an observation (I'm still observed twice a year) It also reminded me of the many classes I had to observe in my teaching career and there are indeed many stories to tell...one that I remember vividly was that of a not-so-young teacher who coolly sat down while observation was taking place in her class. I blamed myself for the lack of respect she showed to me. Perhaps she had wanted an administrator to do the observation not an excellent teacher.

I  wish this young teacher the very best in his career. More often than not I encounter those who fizzle out after being posted to school- young grads who are roaring to go so to speak but somehow end up 'stunted' or 'lost' by external factors? I pray that he keeps his focus in teaching and not be swayed by co curricular responsibilities (seen too many) and other non-teaching responsibilities for the simple fact that we need good teachers in school for our children. We owe it to them!


Enjoy the picts.
Kudos to the both teachers and the English panel!


Happy teaching!




Nash' class - writing a speech


Radhika in action- the simple present tense





Those who can DO, Those who can do more TEACH



1 comment:

nashfahrenheit said...

tq so much for this. i'm really touched by your kind words..